Following from the first themed meeting of the Mothership Project, AtHomeStudios has launch a website. AtHomeStudios is a collective of parenting artists practicing from a studio that is based in their home. It was set up as a means to forge connections between artists and provide opportunities for peer critique, collaboration and a space to share ideas. The group meets every six weeks in one of their studios. The purpose of the meetings is to build meaningful exchanges and relationships between the artists that are supportive of each artist’s practice.
– a group of parenting visual artists working from individual home studios in Dublin.
The first Studio at Home meeting took place in Orla Whelan’s Studio, Drimnagh, Dublin in June 2013. Orla Whelan, Vera Klute, Sandy Kennedy, Kitty Rogers, Janine Davidson and Joanne Boyle attended along with toddlers Lara, Theo and Pia.
Orla reiterated her proposal to establish a collective of artists/parents working from home studios. She suggested that this idea could be one of many initiatives that arise from the overall Mothership Project.
We discussed the many advantages of working from home; convenience, cost, being more productive, private and more connected to daily life. We also discussed the disadvantages of working from home; isolation, lack of peer critique, lack of social and networking opportunities, invisibility.
We discussed the advantages of setting up a collective studio group and some potential outcomes which may evolve from this project. Possibilities include to….
- Meet in each other’s studios and discus each other’s work and offer critique.
- Invite curators for studio visits (possibly hosted in one of our studios)
- Develop projects based on possible shared interests/connections in our work.
- Apply for funding for specific projects and administrative costs.
- Develop exhibitions
- Hold a symposium
- Advocate for access via podcast etc. to events we can’t attend eg. talks.
After much discussion, we decided to form a collective called: AtHomeStudios – a group of parenting visual artists working from individual home studios in Dublin.
We decided to meet every 6 weeks in one of our studios, starting in September 2013. Each member would bring work to the meeting to receive advice and share ideas.
We decided to that it would be more beneficial to keep the numbers relatively low (maybe 12 people maximum) to allow for a more meaningful exchanges and relationships to develop, and to keep studio visits/peer critiques to a manageable size. We decided that any artists interested in joining the group would be invited to attend the next meeting in September (and depending on the level of interest we could establish criteria to join, eg. Primary occupation visual artist, working from studio at home, parent, based in Dublin area..)
We agreed our next steps were:
- Vera will set up a wordpress website and upload an image of each persons studio and individual website link. An email address for inquiries linked to the website will be redirected to Orla’s personal email.
- Orla will write up the information for the website, to be circulated to the other five first.
- Kitty/Vera will look at ways for individuals to upload to website and to share work privately online for feedback amongst ourselves.
AtHomeStudios website will be available soon. For further information in the mean time contact Orla at orlawhelan [at] hotmail.com
The first themed meeting: Studio at Home will take place at 10 am on Wed 26th June in Orla Whelan’s studio in Drimnagh. Please RSVP to orlawhelan[at]hotmail.com or email themothershipproject[at]gmail.com and the address and directions will be sent to you.
Themed meeting # 1: Studio at Home
To form a virtual group studios of sorts..- a network of professional visual artists working from home or outside of a group studios situation. To form a named collective that could have a web presence and participate in events such as Visit (not sure how exactly!)
Studio at Home
A practical solution for many artists facing childcare and studio costs has been to work from home. In my case this was done initially to maximise studio time while looking after very young children. Now that my two children are of school going age, working from home is a choice I have made which suits my studio practice. I am fortunate to have a dedicated studio in my home (a private room with good light , space and heat) at no extra cost. However there are some downsides to this situation:
There is less visibility for my work and practice.
There are less social and networking opportunities than offered to members of group studios.
There is a perception that being a parent and an artist working from home is less professional, that you are a ‘Sunday painter’ who makes work in her spare time at the kitchen table!
To increase visibility and exposure, increase social and networking opportunities, to increase awareness off different artists practices, to present a positive aspect of working from home as a professional artist.
If you are interested in this subject and would like to discuss the possibilities of this or any other initiative relating to the Studio, please come along to a meeting.
Ideas to be discussed at meeting:
- Establish if there is a demand for /interest in this Idea.
- If so, what would be the ideal size of collective?(how many artists).
- What would it be called.. eg AtHome Studios.
- Would there be an individual cost/fee? To establish website etc.
- Could administration be funded? Dublin city council/ Arts council Grant etc?
- Other ideas/proposals…
The meeting will take place at my studio in Drimnagh, Dublin 12 (5 mins from luas stop, 20 min cycle from town, bus).
Proposed dates for meeting: Môn 24th, Tue 25th or Wed 26th June 2013.
Proposed times for meeting :10am, 2pm or 8pm.
If you would like to attend please click onto the doodle calendar here http://www.doodle.com/ubrbvdshwpdmiqxc to select your preferred time or contact me at email@example.com (by Friday 14th June) we will try to go with what suits most people.